Monday, October 10, 2011

Words for aspiring makeup artist's...

I've been having lots of conversations with new artists and about new artists, and those trying to break into the industry. So I thought I'd talk about some things that keep coming up.

 To go to Makeup school or not:
 There are many school's of thought, no pun intended, on this subject. Some say it's essential, some say its a waste of money. IF you have no training at all, and learn better in a classroom environment ( hands on) then a school may be the right choice for you. You will get valuable practice and learn the basics of application and in's and out's of the industry. IF you are looking to break into the film and TV industry I feel it's essential to take a SFX course. Yes you can learn FX on your own but it's better to be taught, there's a lot of things to know, and the practice you will do in class is invaluable. If you want to do any other aspect of makeup; fashion, runway, commercial, bridal. School may not be 100% necessary but like I said the practice is valuable and there are other things besides learning how to put on make-up that you will learn like, set etiquette, hygiene, how to write a resume for makeup among other things. So the short answer is do your research and see if it is worth it FOR YOU to go to school. Visit the schools, ask tons of questions, see who is teaching the classes be sure you are being taught by someone who works in the field you want to be in. Another point: Do I need a license? The short answer, no. In a professional setting you do not need a license to do makeup. However if you plan on working in a spa or salon check with the state board that you are in, most states require you to have a cosmetologist or estheticians license to do makeup. The downside to that is it's expensive to get a license and for cosmetology and esthetician. They spend maybe a day on makeup tops. If I had to pick one to get I'd get an estheticians license at least its based on skin and good education about the skin is always good to know. But again this is only if you plan on working in a salon or spa setting full time, and it varies by state.

 Choosing a path:
 Where do most aspiring artists want to work, of course fashion, runway, and editorial. But I'm gonna be honest that is the lowest paid area of artistry to work in. Unless you have "IT" and are working with the top designers represented by the top agency, the money you will make is peanuts if anything. I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, but you have to think long term. Think about it, fashion week happens 2 times a year in NY what are you gonna do the other 10 months out of the year to make a living? I know when you start out your so full of ambition and passion and are dazzled by the glamour of it all, trust me I was there too, but the reality of it all is it's a very lucrative business. When I started out in the freelance world it took me 2-3 years before I was making substantial money doing jobs, I'm not saying that this is the norm but be prepared for a similar experience. This is where so many artists get discouraged and leave the biz, they feel they are never gonna get anywhere and after a year give up. Everyone needs to pay their dues, we all have to start somewhere. I've seen to many artists that expect you to hand a career over to them, it doesn't work that way. It's hard work and you have to work everyday at it, you have to find the career, the career is not going to find you. Just something to think about.

 The Importance of Assisting:
This may be the most valuable thing any artist can do. Assisting a senior artist is by far the best learning experience. You see them work, see how they interact with talent and clients. If your lucky you will get some connections out of it, and possibly some jobs that the senior artist can't do. It may be hard to find an artist to assist right away, after all we are busy people, just keep yourself on their ray-dar, don't bombard them with calls and emails just let them know your available and check in every few weeks. And when you do get a call be a good assistant, know that you may not be doing any makeup at all, you'll be cleaning brushes, fetching coffee, cleaning up. Do not I repeat DO NOT hand out business cards, chat up the client or photographer. It is not your job you are there to make the artist you are assisting look good. When I look for assistants the most important thing besides their work is personality, do we get along, I can usually tell within minutes of meeting someone if we will mesh, and I usually always like to meet my assistants before I work with them. Just be punctual, be able to take direction, be clean.


      Now forgive me if I ramble here for a little bit. This is a wonderful industry and I love it, I'm constantly learning everyday and from every artist I meet. That's the beauty of the beauty industry, your always growing and reinventing yourself. Like every Industry it has it's up and downs and days where your panicking praying for the phone to ring. You just have to be smart about it, every job leads to the next, network all the time you never know who you are going to meet. Unfortunately in this business it's not what you know it's who you know..BUT it's what you know that keeps you getting hired, if you got the talent and the connections you are sure to go far, and that's with any aspect of makeup. You could be the most talented makeup artist in the world but if you don't have the right connections and marketing materials you ain't gonna get very far, even then it can take some time. Just remember to think long term, with everything, from test shoots to buying new makeup. Will this shoot benefit me in the long run, will I get good credits, will it benefit my book and help me on my right path? will this new lipstick shade really add to my kit or can I make something like it from what I have? all these questions should be at the back of your mind. If anyone reading this has any questions or needs some guidance please feel free to contact me chrismilonemakeup@gmail.com

 Love and Lipgloss
Chris

2 comments:

changingfacez said...

So here's a question for you, what do u think about online "distance" learning? I live in an area where there are no schools to go to unless I travel to New York. I have a full time job and driving up there is not is going to happen.

MakeupGuyNY said...

its a start and good place to get your feet wet, real hands on experience is what you need, do makeup on anyone that will sit still for you. and keep practicing ...the more faces the better in all shapes sizes ages and colors. Then when you reach a comfort level try to attend some one day or 2 day workshops when you can. It's best to watch how others work you can pick up a lot.